قسم اللغة العربية، كلية الجامعة، تروننتبرام، كيرلا، الهند
Last update on April 17, 2015
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
University College, Thiruvananthapuram
College with Potential for Excellence (UGC)
Re-accredited by NACC at Grade 'A' Level (CGPA of 3.16)
The institution, now called the University College, was founded in 1834 by the Government of Travancore during the reign of Swati Thirunal Rama Varma. In 1866, the institution was raised to the status of a college affiliated to the University of Madras. In 1857, Government of Kerala took over the management of the college. The college celebrated its centenary in 1969. The University College now comprises of 20 Post-graduate and 18 Graduate departments with about 278 members of staff and over 3164 students on its roll. The college has been recognized by the University of Kerala as a research centre for M.Phil. and Ph. D. degree in twelve disciplines. The college has also been accorded 'College with Potential for Excellence' status by the UGC. University College is the first government college in Kerala to have been recognized thus. The College has been re-accredited by the NAAC of UGC at grade 'A' level with a CGPA of 3.18 on a four point scale on 4th September, 2010.
Department of Arabic
The Department of Arabic of University College is one of the oldest centers of teaching Arabic in the State of Kerala. This department began functioning from 1942. By the commencement of BA Degree Course in Arabic Language & Literature in 1968, this department became a full-fledged one. In 1971, it was elevated to the P.G. Department of Arabic under University of Kerala. Further the department was approved as a Ph. D. research centre in 1984. In 1994, M. Phil course in Arabic was introduced as the only centre for M. Phil. studies in Arabic at college level in the state. The department of Arabic has been approved by the governmental agencies like the Ministry of Home & the office of the Protector of Emigrants as their approved translation and attestation centre.